Question: I want to make a meal out of cheese fondue, and need ideas for dippers. What are some good cheese fondue accompaniments, and what else can I serve to round out the meal?
Answer: Fondue was likely developed as a way to use up stale bread and pieces of cheese, so cubes of a good crusty bread are a must. Lightly steamed vegetables, cured meats, and fresh fruit are good options too.
- Cubes of crusty bread: Baguette, multigrain, rye, sourdough, a rustic cranberry walnut loaf, etc.
- Lightly steamed vegetables: Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, zucchini
- Steamed or roasted artichoke hearts
- Sauteed or roasted mushrooms: Cremini, shiitake, oyster, sliced portobellos
- Steamed baby potatoes: Yukon Gold, fingerling, red, or purple
- Fennel spears
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cured meats: sausage, salumi
- Fresh fruit: Raw, crisp apple or pear slices, seedless grapes
Cheese Fondue Recipes: