Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 Cups Corn
- 6 Ounces Slab Bacon, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 Large Sweet Onion (such as Vidalia), diced small
- 1 Large Leek, cleaned thoroughly and sliced thinly into half-moons
- 1/4 Cup Red Bell Pepper, diced small
- 1 Pound Yukon Potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Add the butter, onion, leeks, bell pepper, thyme, and cumin and saute, stirring occasionally until the onion and bell pepper are soft.
Add the corn, potatoes, and stock. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Use a spoon to mash some of the potatoes and corn against the side of the pot. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the slurry of cornstarch and water. Return to boil and cook until the chowder thickens slightly.
Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the heavy cream just before serving.