Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 Cup Yukon Potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Cup Parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 Cup Carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 Large Leek, cleaned thoroughly and sliced thinly into half-moons
- 1 Cup Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Cup Rutabagas, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 1 Cup Apple Cider
- 3 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- 4 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Stock, or Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Chopped Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Chopped Sage
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and rutabagas with 3 tablespoons of oil. Spread the vegetables evenly onto a cookie sheet and place in oven. Roast for approximately 15 minutes.
In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter. Add the leeks and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the roasted root vegetables and apple cider. Continue to cook until cider has reduced by half.
Add the stock or water, thyme, bay leaves, and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove garlic from oven. Garlic should be soft and aromatic. Squeeze the garlic from the bulbs into a small bowl. Mash the garlic well with a fork. Stir the roasted garlic into the stew.
Season stew with salt and pepper. Serve hot.