Drew has a hundred different recipes for Buffalo wings. This is a wonderfully tasty version with bourbon, chile powder, honey and barbecue sauce.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Bobby Flay's Throwdown! by Bobby Flay, Stephanie Banyas and Miriam Garron (Clarkson Potter, 2010). [Compare Prices]
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup bourbon, plus more for serving
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ¹⁄³ cup prepared buffalo wing sauce, such as Texas Pete or Frank’s
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 3 pounds chicken wings, split at the joint, wing tips removed and discarded
- Kosher salt
- Prepared blue cheese dressing, for serving
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the bourbon, brown sugar, and honey and heat through, 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the ancho chile powder, chili sauce, barbecue sauce, and wing sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Keep warm while you fry the wings.
- Heat 4 inches of oil to 350ºF in a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan or a deep-fryer.
- Season the chicken wings with salt. Fry, in batches, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove the wings from the oil and drain on a platter lined with paper towels.
- Put the wings in a large mixing bowl, add the sauce, and toss well to coat. Serve with blue cheese dressing and half shots of bourbon, on the side, for adults to sip.
Find the best Gourmet Specialty Foods, Supplies, and Cookware