Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
- 1 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 cup rutabaga, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 quart good chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until all of the vegetables are cooked through and tender.
Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into the same pot you used to cook the vegetables. Add the cream, maple syrup, salt and cayenne pepper.
Return the pot to the stove, bring the soup to a simmer, and serve.