"This ceviche comes from the tropical region of the Yucatán, on the Caribbean coast of Mexico. Gently steamed lobster meat is marinated in a lush, tasty blend of coconut milk, citrus juices, chiles, and ginger. It is perfectly paired with a colorful pico de gallo made with mango, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro, and mint." -from the book.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- * * * * * Ceviche * * * * *
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- ½ habanero chile, seeded, membrane removed, and cut lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- 6 (1-pound) lobsters
- 2 green plantains, peeled, thinly sliced lengthwise, and fried, for garnish
- * * * * * Mango Pico de Gallo * * * * *
- 2 cups diced mango
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced poblano chiles
- 1 habanero chile, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring at least 6 quarts of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the lobsters, cover the pot, return the water to a boil, and cook the lobsters for 7 minutes more, or until the shells are bright red. Do this in batches if the pot is not large enough to accommodate all of the lobsters. Remove the lobsters, wrap each in aluminum foil, and let cool. Cut the lobsters in half down the back and remove the tail meat. Reserve the tail shells. Break off the claws and knuckles, crack the shells, and remove the meat. Chop the meat into bite-size pieces.
Make the pico de gallo: In a medium-size bowl, stir together the ingredients for the Mango Pico de Gallo and set aside.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the lobster meat with the other ceviche ingredients. For an appetizer, put ½ lobster tail shell in the center of each chilled plate, and fill with lobster. Garnish with Mango Pico de Gallo and crispy fried green plantain chips, and serve.