Recipe created by Chef Aarón Sanchez.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 30 minutes
- 3 whole dried ancho chiles
- 3 whole dried pasilla chiles
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- ½ medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 3 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed),cut into chunks
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
Assembly and Garnish:
- 1 (10oz) package Cacique Queso Fresco (crumbled)
- Avocados, cubed (for garnish)
- Corn tortillas, small (warmed for serving)
Spicy Red Cabbage Slaw:
- 1 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano, crushed
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
For pork filling: Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chile sauce and fry, stirring, until thick and fragrant for about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and reduce until slightly thickened.
Season pork all over with salt and pepper, and transfer to a large slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, and then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on high until the meat is tender for about 5 hours. (Optional: Cook pork in a large Dutch oven, covered, for 1 hour 45 minutes at 350F. Uncover and cook for 30 more minutes.)
Pour the sauce into a separate saucepan and set aside until settled. Skim fat off the top then return to burner. Reduce sauce down by 2/3rds until thickened. Reserve sauce.
Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Shred the pork with two forks, and season with salt and pepper. Mix in reserve sauce and set aside.
For red cabbage slaw: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss well. For taco assembly: Using warm tortillas, layer shredded pork, crumbled Cacique® Queso Fresco and garnish with avocados. Serve with a side of spicy red cabbage slaw.