Reprinted with permission from Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts (Clarkson Potter 2011).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 1 9-inch pie.
for the crust
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 11 ounces (about 6 cups)sweetened shredded coconut
for the filling
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a food processor, process butter and one-third of coconut until mixture forms a ball, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining two-thirds coconut over mixture, and combine with your fingers.
- Place a 9-inch pie plate on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form crust, leaving top edges loose and fluffy. Place a foil ring (see page 324) over edge to prevent burning. Bake until center begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes; remove foil, and bake until edges are browned, 4 to 6 minutes more. Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling: Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Let sit 10 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is combined. Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day.
Find the best Gourmet Specialty Foods, Supplies, and Cookware