Reprinted with permission from Bluestem: the cookbook by Colby and Megan Garrelts (Andrews Mcmeel 2011).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 4.
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 cup light rum (we use 10 Cane rum)
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 orange, peeled with a Y-peeler
- 1 large piece crystallized ginger, chopped into small pieces
- 4 Braeburn apples, peeled, quartered, and cored
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- Brown Butter–Pecan Ice Cream (page 266)
- Pecans, toasted and chopped, for garnish
Remove the apples with a slotted spoon and set them on a plate to drain. Cover and keep the apples warm while you let the cider steep for 10 minutes.
Strain the cider through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard the cinnamon sticks, orange peel, ginger, and cloves. Cover the cider and keep warm until ready to serve.
Divide the apple halves among 4 bowls. Vigorously whisk the butter into the cider. Pour the warm buttered cider over the apples and top each with a scoop of the ice cream. Garnish each bowl with chopped pecans and serve immediately. Extra cider can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.