Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 oz. butter, unsalted
- 4 oz. white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds reserved, or 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ oz. sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolks
- 1 ½ oz. flour, all-purpose
- Simmered Blueberry Syrup (recipe below)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- * * * * Simmered Blueberry Syrup * * * *
- ½ pound fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- In a microwave on high and in a large plastic container, melt the butter for 1 minute; do this in 20-second stages, as you want the butter to melt evenly and not to separate.
- Add the white chocolate chips and microwave for another 40 seconds, remove and stir until chocolate and butter are completely melted (this mixture should be thick, yet smooth in consistency – it may need more or less cooking time depending on your microwave). Let this chocolate and butter mixture rest and set-up for at least 3-4 minutes. If it separates or looks broken, discard and start again.
- In a stand mixer whip eggs, egg yolks, vanilla seeds and sugar on high speed for 8 minutes. Add the lemon juice. Add the chocolate mixture and add the flour, be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Whip on high until the mixture reaches a thick, mousse-like consistency – about 4-6 minutes more – this is now your cake mixture and it can rest like this for up to two days.
- Butter or grease 12, 4oz. brioche molds (if your not planning to invert the cake you can use 6 oz ramekins, or coffee cups if you don't have molds) pour cake mixture into the brioche molds. Place on a baking tray and bake in a 400 oven for about 7-8 minutes until the cakes are golden and puffy (the cakes will be runny in the center).
- Remove immediately from the oven, flip over on a plate, sauce with simmered summer blueberries and sprinkle with a little bit of powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Simmered Summer Blueberries
- In a large saucepan over moderate heat combine the blueberries, sugar and water.
- Reduce this mixture by half or until syrupy and honey-like.
- Reserve and keep warm.