Created by Executive Chef Henry Salgado of the Spanish River Grill (New Smyrna Beach, Florida).
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
- * * * * For the Bread Pudding * * * *
- 1 loaf (4-5 cups) stale bread cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 14 oz can condensed milk
- 12 oz good quality white chocolate bar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 2 ripe mangos
- Granulated sugar
- * * * * For the Caramel Sauce * * * *
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 T. bourbon
- 1 T. vanilla
Make the mango white chocolate bread pudding:
- Scald 2 cups milk & 1 cup of the heavy cream with whole vanilla bean
- Add one can condensed milk & 12 oz cubed good quality white chocolate
- Stir mixture off heat until chocolate and condensed milk are melted
- Soak bread in milk mixture at least 1 hour
- Whisk 4 large eggs & 1 cup sugar until all sugar is dissolved & add to bread & milk mixture
- Add 1 T. cinnamon
- Cut 2 ripe mangoes into small cubes & add to bread mixture
- Pour pudding into well buttered baking dish
- Pour the remaining 1/4cup heavy cream over top & sprinkle with granulated sugar
- Bake in a water bath in 375° F oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until pudding rises & custard is set
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream & caramel bourbon sauce.
Make the caramel bourbon sauce:
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy bottom sauce pan. Cook over med-high heat until sugar is deep amber in color.
- Remove from heat and carefully add the cream, stirring until well combined.
- Add the bourbon and vanilla.
- Cool before using.
Yields 6 -8 servings.