Reprinted with permission from Meatless by Martha Stewart Living (Clarkson Potter, 2013) [Compare Prices]
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cups cooked pearl barley
- 2 cups cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, preferably whole wheat, thawed
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Sauté onion, carrots, and mushrooms until tender, stirring frequently, 6 to 8 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring up browned bits, until almost all the wine has evaporated.
- Combine barley and beans in a large pot. Whisk flour into stock and add to pot. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Using a 12-ounce ramekin as a guide, cut out 4 rounds from phyllo; keep covered with a damp paper towel. Spoon barley mixture into 4 ramekins. Brush each cut sheet with oil and place on top of filled ramekin. Cut vents into tops. Sprinkle with sea salt and reserved parsley.
- Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until tops are golden and filling is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Find the best Gourmet Specialty Foods, Supplies, and Cookware