Reprinted with permission from Kitchen Garden Cookbook by Jeanne Kelly (Weldon Owen, 2013) [Compare Prices]
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 Sandwiches
- for the pistou
- fresh sage leaves, 1 1⁄2 tbsp chopped
- fresh thyme leaves, 1 1⁄2 tbsp chopped
- fresh rosemary, 1 1⁄2 tsp chopped
- fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, 1 tbsp chopped
- garlic, 1 clove, chopped
- kosher salt, 1⁄4 tsp
- walnut oil, 2 tbsp
- French or sourdough bread, 8 slices
- Gruyère or white Cheddar cheese, 6 oz (185 g), thinly sliced
- Black Forest ham, 3 oz (90 g), thinly sliced
- unsalted butter, for cooking
Preheat a panini grill or a griddle to medium-high, or preheat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, spread 4 slices of the bread with the pistou, dividing it evenly.
Top the pistou with half of the cheese and all of the ham, dividing it evenly. Top the ham with the remaining cheese, dividing it evenly. Top the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices.
Butter the hot grill, griddle, or pan. Add the sandwiches and cook until they are golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 8 minutes.
Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Find the best Gourmet Specialty Foods, Supplies, and Cookware