This simple but beautiful recipe for Swedish meatballs comes from legendary Restaurant Aquavit in New York. True Scandinavian comfort food, this rich dish is made with sirloin, veal, pork, honey, heavy cream and lingonberry preserves. Founded by Ethiopian-born, Swedish-raised Chef Marcus Samuelsson, the Scandinavian cuisine of Restaurant Aquavit has garnered acclaim and numerous awards including three stars from the New York Times.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- For the meatballs
- 1/2 cup of fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound ground chuck or sirloin
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- For the sauce
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup lingonberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons juice from Quick Pickled Cucumbers
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the meatballs: Combine the bread crumbs and heavy cream in a small bowl, stirring with a fork until all crumbs are moistened. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, veal, pork, onion, honey, and egg, and mix well with your hands. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the bread crumb cream mixture and mix well. With wet hands (to keep the mixture from sticking), shape the mixture into meatballs the size of a golf ball, placing them on a plate lightly moistened with water. You should have about 24 meatballs.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs, in batches if necessary, and cook, turning frequently for about 7 minutes, until browned on all sides and cooked through. Transfer the meatballs to a plate, and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the skillet.
- Prepare the sauce: Return the skillet to the heat, whisk in the stock, cream, preserves, and pickle juice, and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the meatballs to the sauce, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly and the meatballs are heated through. Serve hot with mashed potatoes, preserves and pickled cucumbers.