Here is the winning sandwich recipe from Iron Chef Michael Symon that he created for Mezzetta's Celebrity Make That Sandwich Contest. Michael's Sopressata sandwich with pepper sauce and fried egg took first place over his fellow chef contestants: Chris Cosentino, Stephanie Izard, Daisy Martinez, Adam Perry Long and Jamie Oliver. Chef Symon won $10,000 for his favorite charity, Autism Speaks.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- For Michael's Magical Mezzetta® Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped Mezzetta® Sweet Banana Wax Peppers
- 6 Mezzetta® Brand Spicy Pickled Garlic Cloves
- 4 Mezzetta® Brand Hot Chili Peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- For the Sandwich
- 8 paper-thin slices red onion
- 8 to 12 ounces (about 16 to 24 slices) soppressata or dry-cured Italian salami
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slices (about 8 ounces) thin sliced prosciutto
- 8 thin slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta® Brand Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread, toasted or grilled
- 1/2 cup Mezzetta® Brand Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips and Caramelized Onions
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Michael's Magical Mezzetta® Pepper Sauce
To Make the Pepper Sauce:
- Toss the Sweet Banana Wax Peppers, Spicy Pickled Garlic cloves, and
Hot Chili Peppers into a food processor with the mustard, and vinegar,
- Pour the puree into a nonreactive saucepan, add the sugar, and
bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Combine the flour and ½ cup water and mix to a smooth paste.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the simmering liquid and return the
mixture to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring regularly,
until very thick.
- Let the sauce cool, pour it into a nonreactive container, and
refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Make the Sopressata Sandwiches:
- Soak the onions in a small bowl of ice water for 2 minutes.
- While the onions are soaking, in a medium nonstick sauté pan over
low heat, fry the soppressata over medium-high heat until lightly
crisp and some fat has rendered, about 2 minutes per side. Remove it
to a plate.
- In the same pan, fry an egg sunny-side up.
- Lightly brush the 2 slices of sourdough with Mezzetta® Extra Virgin
- While the egg is cooking, drain the onion slices and layer the
soppressata, 2 slices prosciutto, 2 slices mozzarella, 2 onion slices,
and 2 tablespoons Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips and Caramelized
Onions on a slice of bread.
- Top with the other slice and place the sandwich in the pan next to
the egg, pressing down on the sandwich with the palm of your hand.
When that side is lightly toasted, about 3 to 4 minutes, flip the
sandwich and toast the other side.
- Remove the sandwich to a cutting board, and open the sandwich. Lay
down four basil leaves, place the egg in the center, and spoon on 2
tablespoons Michael's Magical Mezzetta® Pepper Sauce. Continue process
with remaining ingredients for the other sandwiches.
- Close the sandwiches and slice them in half to serve.