Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 12 each Chicken breasts split, boneless, skinless
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Black pepper, ground
- 3 Tbsp. Fennel seed, chopped
- 2-3 tsp. Crushed red chili flakes
- 6 Tbsp. Garlic, fresh minced
- 9 cups ( 6 bulbs) Fennel bulb, sliced 1/2 inch
- 18 cups Tomatoes, diced
- 6 each Lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 6 Tbsp. Italian parsley, minced
Heat olive oil in heavy saucepan or rondeaux. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
Sear chicken breast in oil until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes each side.
Add fennel seed, chili flakes and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, then add fennel bulb, tomato, lemon juice and zest.
Stir, then cover pan. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 10 minutes until tomatoes have become saucy. Stir in olives and parsley, remove lid and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes.
Sauce should be thick, and chicken should be cooked through. Adjust seasonings.
Serve with orzo pasta that has been tossed with crumbled feta cheese.
Recipe courtesy of the California Tomato Commission.