Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- * * * * Pickled Tomato Salsa * * * *
- 1 Pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut in quarters
- 1/2 bunch scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 Serrano chiles, with seeds, thinly sliced in rounds
- 1/2 Cup white vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- 4 (6 oz.) boneless chicken thighs or breasts, with skin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 4 scallions, trimmed
- 2 ripe fresh avocados, peeled, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Cups cooked brown basmati rice
Make the Salsa:In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with scallions and chiles.
In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Add brown sugar and salt, and cook until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and reserve.
Measure ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, cracked peppercorns, cumin, cayenne and turmeric onto a plate and place near stove. In another medium saucepan, heat oil over moderate heat until just smoking. Add spices and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until aromas are released, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar mixture. Immediately pour over reserved tomato mixture. Stir to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or several days.
Before serving, remove tomatoes from juices, roughly chop, and return to pickling liquid.
Note: To peel tomatoes, remove the cores and score an X on the underside. Blanch for 15 seconds in boiling water and immediately plunge into iced water to prevent continued cooking. Peel with a paring knife.
Cook the Chicken:In a shallow, non-reactive dish, season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and cumin in a small bowl. Brush mixture on scallions and pour remainder over chicken, tossing to evenly coat. Allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
Preheat broiler or grill. Beginning with skin side toward the heat source, broil or grill chicken until just cooked through, about 12 minutes per side for thighs and about 9 minutes per side for breasts. Grill or broil scallions about 2 minutes per side.
Toss Pickled Tomato Salsa with diced avocados and reserve until chicken is cooked.
To serve, arrange grilled chicken over a bed of basmati rice. Mound avocado salsa mixture on top of chicken. Garnish with grilled scallions. Serve immediately.