Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 1 7-8 pound goose or duck
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 medium unpeeled orange, cut into wedges
- 1 stalk celery, cut
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large quince, quartered
- 3 large pomegranates
- 1 18 oz. jar plum jam (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoon shredded lemon peel
- Fresh herbs (sage, basil, or tarragon)
- Sliced apples (optional)
Place goose, breast side up, on a rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer. Roast uncovered for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, to 180 degrees on thermometer. Drumsticks should move easily in sockets and clear juices. Discard juices as they accumulate during roasting. Place parsnips and quince next to goose on the rack. Roast together during last 45 minutes.
Make the Glaze:
Halve pomegranates. Remove 2 tablespoons of whole pomegranate seeds and set aside. Juice remaining seeds. In a medium saucepan, combine jam, pomegranate juice, cider, soy sauce, and lemon peel. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring frequently. Strain through a sieve. Baste goose with 1/2 cup glaze during last 15 minutes of roasting. Serve remaining glaze as sauce.
Let goose stand 15 minutes before carving, serve with parsnips, quince and sprinkle with fresh seeds.
Recipe courtesy of the Pomegranate Council.