Reprinted with permission from Small Plates, Perfect Wines by Lori Lyn Narlock (Andrews McMeel 2007).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 globe eggplant (about 1 pound), unpeeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt for sprinkling, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
Pat the eggplant dry. Spread on a sided baking sheet and pour 1/4 cup of the olive oil over the eggplant. Toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon salt. Bake, turning once or twice, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the zucchini, bell pepper, and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté until the pepper is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes have melted, about 20 minutes. Add the eggplant and cook until the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Stir in the basil, sage, and oregano. Season with pepper and adjust the seasonings to taste. Divide among 6 small plates and serve.