Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 28-ounce can of beans, northern or pinto
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chipotle, pureed or minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably smoked
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 strips of bacon, raw and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon (such as Jim Beam)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, molasses, Worcestershire, chipotle and paprika.
Add the beans, corn, onion, bacon and Bourbon and mix well. Transfer to a baking dish and cover.
Place in oven and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove cover last 1/2 hour to allow beans to thicken and carmelize a bit on top. Stir well before serving.
*Note: You can speed up the cooking process by turning the oven up to 350º F and baking for only an hour. Still good but not quite as rich.