Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 loaf of French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 pieces of bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup of sweet onion (such as Vidalia), cut into small dice (1/4-inch)
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 pound of wild mushrooms (such as chanterelle, porcini, shiitake), sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces of shucked oysters, with their liquor (juice)
Place bread cubes on cookie sheet and place in oven. Bake until bread is dry but not browned (about 10 minutes). Turn oven up to 350º F.
Put chopped bacon into a large skillet and cook until almost crispy. Add mushrooms and butter, saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the onion and celery, saute until they begin to soften. Add white wine, cook for 1 minute. Add the oyster liquor, chicken stock, sage, thyme, parsley and black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes.
Pour into a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and oysters. Toss well with a spatula or wooden spoon. Transfer to a buttered baking dish.
Bake for about an hour, removing the foil the last 15 minutes for the top to brown. Serve warm.