This salad makes a nice light lunch. The sweet and savory quail matches well with fruit. The tanginess of the cheese adds a wonderful contrast. If you don't have a grill available, the broiler of your oven works just fine. Pomegranate molasses can be found in Middle Eastern groceries, natural food stores, or online. Looking for wild game? Check out my list of sources.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 Individual Quail
- 3 Tablespoons Pomegranate Molasses
- 2 Cups Orange Juice
- 2 Cups Champagne, semi-dry
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 Cups Mesclun or other mixed greens
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Shallots, (optional)
- 2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, cored and cut into slices, 1/4 inch thick
- 4 Fresh Figs, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons Olive or Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced thin
- 4 Ounces Feta or Goat Cheese, crumbled
For the Quail
In a medium sauce pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil and reduce to 2 cups. Add the orange juice, champagne, pomegranate molasses, and brown sugar. Continue to boil until reduced to 2 cups. Let cool. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Brush both sides of each quail with the pomegranate glaze. Place the quail on a lightly oiled grill or under the broiler of your oven. The quail will cook very quickly, about 3 minutes per side. Place the quail on a plate and set aside. Before turning off the grill, brush the figs with oil and place cut side down onto the grill (or broiler). Cook briefly (about 1 minute) and set aside.
For the Vinaigrette
In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and shallots. Slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil while whisking vigorously. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To Assemble the Salad
Toss the salad greens with the vinaigrette. Mound a portion of greens in the center of a plate. Add a fig half, onions, and several slices of apple to each plate. Lean two quail against the salad. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.