Reprinted with permission from the The Berghoff Family Cookbook (Andrews McMeel 2007).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 pounds turkey meat, cooked and diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, or to taste
In a food processor or blender, chop the garlic finely. Add the nuts and basil leaves, and process until fully chopped. With the motor running slowly, add the oil until it is incorporated and the pesto has a smooth consistency. Season with salt and white pepper. The pesto can be made up to one day in advance and stored in an airtight jar in the refrigerator, or it can be frozen for as long as one month. Makes about 1 cup. If you like cheese, add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan to the recipe; however, this variation will not freeze well.
To assemble: In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of the pesto, and the diced vegetables, and season with salt and pepper. The salad can be made up to 6 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator until needed. Serve with any of the Berghoff breads-rye, olive, or beer bread.