This recipe, adapted from one by The Ojai Cook, uses lots of fresh ingredients in concert with packaged croutons and stuffing mix. The result is a stuffing that tastes homemade, despite the convenient shortcuts. (For even quicker preparation, pick up pre-sliced wild mushrooms and packaged chicken broth at the market.)
This recipe was designed to accompany The Ojai Cook's Herb Roasted Four Seasons Turkey.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 pound yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 pound pork sausage with sage, crumbled into chunks (optional)
- 2 cups Italian (flat leaf) parsley, cleaned and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 10 ounces stuffing mix
- 6 ounces seasoned croutons, crushed
- 3 cups chicken broth, plus 1/2 cup for baking the stuffing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly butter a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or a 3- to 4-quart casserole.
In a chef's pan or large, deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, mushrooms, and sausage (if using). Sauté until the onions and mushrooms are soft and the sausage is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add the parsley, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with the salt, pepper, and sage. Remove from the heat, and pour the mixture into a large bowl.
Return the empty pan to the heat and add the stuffing mix, croutons, 3 cups of chicken broth, lemon juice, and water. Stir well; the mixture will be fairly wet. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Add the bread mixture and pecans to the sautéed mushrooms, onions, and sausage. Mix well with a sturdy spoon or clean hands. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, and sage if needed. Place the stuffing in the prepared pan, and gently smooth the top with a spatula. Drizzle evenly with the additional 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the top is crispy, about 5 minutes longer. Enjoy!