The Bottom Line:
Once Again's Organic Cashew Nut Butter is a deliciously creamy, naturally sweet nut butter that's a nice change of pace from peanut butter. Though lower in protein that most nut butters, it is a good source of heart-healthy fat and iron.
- Fresh, true roasted cashew flavor.
- Creamy enough for easy spreading, with a bit of satisfying texture from finely-ground nuts.
- Extra head space at the top of the jar, so any natural oil separation is simple to stir back into the nut butter.
- Certified USDA Organic. BVK Kosher. Gluten Free.
- At 4 grams per 2 tablespoon serving, cashew butter is lower in protein than most other nut butters. (That may be a pro, however, for those on protein-restricted diets).
- A bit pricey at $9.50/16-oz jar, though a non-organic version is available for $7.95.
Review & Tasting Notes
The first thing that impressed me about Once Again's Organic Cashew Nut Butter had nothing to do with taste (though that quickly thrilled me too). It was that when I opened the jar, I didn't make an oily mess. As a regular purchaser of natural nut butters, I expect oil separation in a new, room-temperature jar of nut butter. I know once I stir the oil back in and refrigerate the jar, it will remain emulsified. But I always seem to do a sloppy job trying to stir that oil into the thick nut butter. Not so with this cashew butter — there was actually enough head space at the top of the jar to stir in the oil without sloshing it over the rim. (I compared the size of Once Again's 16-oz jar to another brand's, and it was indeed a bit bigger, so I don't think my jar was underfilled.)
The thoughtfully-sized jar aside, it's the taste that counts, and this cashew butter is truly delicious. The fresh, true cashew flavor was impressive — there's a great balance between the cashews' mild, natural sweetness and subtle nuttiness. Once Again uses just organic dry roasted cashews and a small amount of expeller-pressed organic safflower oil in this nut butter (for spreadability). There's no added salt or sugar, so the flavor of high-quality nuts really shines.
The texture is great too. It's smooth enough to spread easily or to incorporate into recipes, but it's got just enough dimension from finely-milled cashews to stay interesting. It's thick and rich, but not obnoxiously palate-clinging. That's a bonus if, like me, you find you want to eat this cashew butter right off the spoon.
Recommended Cashew Butter Recipes
Where to Buy Once Again Organic Cashew Butter:
You'll also find a retail store locator on the Once Again website.