Legendary chef Paul Bocuse created the competition 22 years ago. Another great chef, Daniel Boulud, is currently president of the bi-annual event. Bocuse, Boulud, and others were rooting for the Americans. An American win would bring more interest and investment to the competition. Sadly, though, Team USA finished sixth. Disappointing but still respectable as it ties the highest Team USA has finished in the past. A Frenchman has taken gold six times, a Norwegian three, and Luxembourg and Sweden each one. New teams that qualified this year include Estonia, the Czech Republic, Malaysia and South Korea.
The competing teams had 5 hours 35 minutes to complete perfect dishes using the official products of the Bocuse d'Or 2009: Scotch Beef Aberdeen Angus (Angus fillet steak, ox tail, ox cheeks, and beef ribs) and Norwegian Sea Products (fresh cod, king scallops, and wild prawns).
TEAM USATeam USA included 28-year-old Chef Timothy Hollingsworth and Commis (assistant) Adina Guest, both of The French Laundry restaurant in Yountville, CA.
The seafood and beef cuisine presented by Team USA were:
- Olive Oil Poached Loin of Norwegian Cod, Enveloped in Scallop Mousse, Preserved Meyer Lemon and Sicilian Pistachios with Citrus Mousseline and Shrimp Nage
- Wild Prawn and Haas Avocado Tart, Fennel Compote, Chili Peppers and Yuzu Gelée
- Yukon Gold Potato and Bacon Mille-Feuille, Creme Fraiche-Enriched King Richard Leeks, Hobbs Bacon Chip and Sacramento Delta Osetra Caviar
- Roasted Aberdeen Angus Beef Rib-Eye, Wrapped in Applewood Smoked Bacon with Prune-Enriched Oxtail Jus
- Rosette of Scottish Beef Fillet, Perigord Truffles, Celeriac and Oxtail-Endive Marmalade
- Glazed Beef Cheeks a L’Etouffée, French Laundry Garden Turnips and Sweet Turnips and Sweet Carrots
- Calotte Bresaola Fumé a la Minute, Granny Smith Apples, Savoy Cabbage and Horseradish Mousse
Gold, Silver, Bronze1st Place: Norway’s Geir Skeie of Restaurant Midtåsen Solvold in Sandefjord, Norway (website). Prize: 20,000€ (Euros).
2nd Place: Sweden’s Jonas Lundgren. Prize: 15,000€.
3rd Place: France’s Philippe Mille of Hôtel Le Meurice in Paris, France (website). Prize: 10,000€.
Final Results for All Teams
- Norway (1020 points)
- Sweden (994)
- France (993)
- Denmark (986)
- Switzerland (922 )
- USA (911)
- Iceland (891)
- Japan (877)
- Canada (870)
- United Kingdom (864)
- Finland (858)
- Australia (849)
- The Netherlands (837)
- Czech Republic (813)
- Estonia (812)
- Luxembourg (804)
- Mexico (762)
- Singapore (762)
- Malaysia (757)
- Spain (749)
- Brazil (698)
- South Africa (682)
- Uruguay (678)
- South Korea (669)