The menu by Design Cuisine (Arlington, VA) reflects the theme of the inauguration "A New Birth of Freedom," which celebrates the bicentennial of the birth of President Abraham Lincoln.
Growing up in Kentucky and Indiana, President Lincoln favored simple foods including root vegetables and wild game. Later, the president became fond of stewed and scalloped oysters. Apples were a favorite of his for dessert or a snack.
The 2009 Inaugural Luncheon Menu
- Seafood Stew (RECIPE)
- Duckhorn Vineyards, 2007 Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley
- A Brace of American Birds:
Herb Roasted Pheasant with Wild Rice Stuffing (RECIPE)
Duck Breast with Cherry Chutney (RECIPE)
served with Molasses Sweet Potatoes (RECIPE)
- Goldeneye, 2005 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
- Apple Cinnamon Sponge Cake and Sweet Cream Glacé (RECIPE)
- Korbel Natural “Special Inaugural Cuvée,” California Champagne